If you have a garage door, you will need a high-quality motorized opener. Nowadays, you can control this reliable and practical device with a keypad, remote, or smartphone. That way, you can open and close your door automatically without getting out of the car. So, let’s check out the average opener installation cost for garage door in the US.
Types of Garage Door Openers
You can find a few types of garage door openers on the market and pick out the one that primarily fits the location of your garage.
$120 to $270
|$180 to $350|
$200 to $280
|$270 to $450|
$300 to $1,500
1. Chain-driven garage door openers
Since chain-driven openers are noisy and bit outdated, they are the most economical models on the market. The motor pulls a metal chain, which raises and lowers the garage door along the tracks. This type of door has many moving parts so that it will need regular maintenance.
- This model is durable, strong, and reliable
- It is the cheapest type of garage door openers available
- If you are skillful, you won’t have a problem to install it on your own
- It is a noisy model, which can be annoying
- It comes without a backup battery
- You should maintain this opener regularly to prevent rust of the chain
2. Belt-driven garage door openers
A belt-drive type of garage door opener has a steel-reinforced rubber belt. Since it contains small teeth on one side, the whole mechanism works the way the motor pulls the belt. Then, it runs through the gear and pulls the door up and lowers it as needed.
- The rubber part reduces vibration and consequently the noise level
- You can quickly install this practical and durable model on your own
- The manufacturer provides a spare battery
- The average price is $180 to $350, which makes it an expensive model
- Even though there are no too many moving parts, this type of doors requires regular maintenance
- It has a short lifespan
- High temperatures and humidity may cause the belt to slip
3. Screw-driven garage door openers
A screw-driven opener opens and closes the garage door by rotating a metal screw rod. It is quite a simple model with a few plastic moving parts, which requires regular maintenance.
- It is a powerful, strong, and quiet model that operates smoothly
- This opener requires low maintenance except for plastic pieces
- The only necessary care is lubrication with silicone twice a year
- It is a bit slow option
- This model is on the expensive side
- It is sensitive to temperature fluctuations
4. Direct-drive garage door openers
The direct-drive one is the right choice for you if you look for a simple and almost noiseless garage door opener. It has a motor that opens and closes the garage door without a belt, chain, or screw.
- It is a reliable and almost entirely noiseless model of high quality
- With just a few moving parts, this opener is almost maintenance-free
- It has both sensor safety systems and automatic reverse
- The manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty
- It is quite an expensive device
5. Commercial garage door openers
This type is more expensive than residential direct-drive or chain-, belt-, and screw-driven models. The average cost of these garage door openers is in a range from $300 to $1,500.
Best Brands on the Market
There are a few excellent brands that produce the best garage door openers you can find. With a few exceptions, the price and quality of most brands are similar, so it depends on your preferences to choose a particular model.
Best brands available
$300 to $350
|$150 to $400|
$150 to $250
|$150 to $400|
$140 to $350
|$140 to $200|
$120 to $250
|$100 to $250|
$100 to $200
Installation Cost for a Garage Door Opener
You need to be skillful to install a garage door opener on your own. In most cases, it is better to hire a professional to finish the job. Some professionals include the old opener removal in the labor cost, but you should pay for that service in some cases. The process of installing includes:
- Preparation of all the components
- Testing the running of the opener and functioning the remotes
The installation cost for a garage door opener
$400 to $650
|$250 to $450|
$200 to $250
The overall cost of a garage door opener installation ranges from $200 to $650. It includes:
- The average price of the device ranges from $120 to $300
- Labor costs of $130 to $200 for two hours of work ($65 to $85 per hour)
To determine the actual price of your future garage door opener, you need to consider some crucial cost factors such as:
The older models of lower speeds will cost from $120 to $200 on average. If you want to install the device of faster speeds, the price will be higher and ranges from $200 to $350.
The openers that cause less noise while opening and closing the garage doors will cost more. For such a device, you need to pay at least $200 to $300. On the other hand, noisy garage door openers will cost you from $120 to $200.
However, the overall cost varies depending on the model and brand you choose, as well as its power, added features, and garage door type you want to install.
Garage Door Components Cost
Except for garage door opener, you may also need to pay for additional installation. For example, you should pay about $50 for extension kit if your garage door is more than 7 feet (2.1 m) high. Also, you will need:
Remote and keypad
You need a remote or keypad for garage door opening and closing control. Modern models use a rolling code to protect your property from burglaries. The average price for a new device is from $30 to $50.
If you have a garage door that operates with a keypad, you will control it with a PIN. You can buy it separately from an opener at an average price of $30-$70.
Garage door sensors
These devices prevent the garage door from uncontrolled closing. You can buy them separately at an average price of $50-$100.
Nowadays, you can purchase a garage door opener with additional lighting features. There are two options, including regular garage light and security lighting. I like this option since the light won’t turn off immediately, but it will be on for another 15 to 30 seconds after you close the garage door.
On average, you need to pay $50 to $100 for lighting and about $10-$15 for each bulb. If you need an electrician to finish the job, you will pay him $65 to $85 per hour.
DIY Installing a Garage Door Opener
If you are highly skillful, you can still install the garage door opener on your own. This job includes mechanical and carpentry work. Plus, you will probably need at least 4 to 6 hours to finish the job correctly. Most experienced professionals will need half the time for the same result.
However, if you decide to do a DIY project, you need to balance and synchronize your existing garage door with the opener’s tracks. Only then can you proceed with the installation. Don’t forget to check if the opener runs correctly and to test the proper functioning of the remotes.
The advantage of this working endeavor is saving money and satisfaction that you can finish such a task yourself.
How Long Can Your Garage Door Opener Last?
You can use a high-quality garage door opener for 10 to 15 years. Its longevity will depend on the:
- Weight of the garage door
- Horsepower of the opener
- Frequency of the device using
Keep in mind that most types of garage door openers can withstand up to 10,000 opening and closing. Once you need to replace this piece, you need to pay for the de-installation of the old opener, the new device, and its installation.
Garage Door Opener Warranty
Depending on the manufacturer and the quality of the opener, you can expect different warranties for your new garage door opener. I will list the offers of top brands.
Garage door opener warranty
|Liftmaster||5 to 10 years||5 to 10 years||5 to 10 years|
5 to 10 years
|5 to 7 years||5 years for chain and 15 years for belt||1 to 5 years||One year|
|Lifetime||One year||One year||One year|
|Skylink||One year||One year||One year|
Nowadays, installing a garage door opener in your home is no longer the luxury, but a practical and smart idea. Since contemporary garage doors are more sophisticated and heavier than ever, you will need help to handle it.
Take advantage of modern technologies and use your smartphone to control this device. Add a possibility to connect automatic locking and security and light sensors. That way, the process of opening and closing your garage door won’t longer be a physically demanding job.